Many options exist today for advertising online. CPM, or cost per thousand impressions, is a very cost effective way to get your message or advertisement displayed, whether it is a product, service or just simple content.
Below are the basics steps of CPM advertising:
- Figure our your advertising budget. For this example, let's use $30 per month
- Search through a search engine on a keyword that relates to your advertisement. For example, if you want to find Easy Investing solutions, you can search on "Easy Investing".
- Record the sites that show up on the first and second page of the search results. Then find a traffic analysis site that will help you identify the amount of page views per month those sites receive. Let's say we found an interesting site we want to advertise on that receives around 6000 page views per month.
- Divide your monthly advertising budget by the page views per month. In this case, $30 / 6000 = $0.005 per impression. Multiply this by 1000 to get your CPM, so in this case the CPM is $5.00 per every thousand impressions.
- CPM = Advertising Budget / Page Views * 1000
Now that you know how to calucate CPM based on your ideal advertising budget, search for sites with your ideal page views per month. Also, ad campaigns like Google AdSense allow you to setup scenarios for specific CPM rates.
A cost effective alternative to CPM based advertising it to still use the search engine to find high ranking web sites for specific keywords that relate to your ad. Then email the web site owners and request their advertising rates for basic text or visual ads on their main page. Usually you will get basement bargain prices this way for advertising, yet still reap a good CPM due to the low cost, and high amount of traffic these sites attract. Remember that the sites on the first two pages of search results are the pages that get 99% of the search engine traffic directed to them. An example site that offers very competitive advertising rates is Easy Investing Strategies.